Search This Blog

Monday, August 3, 2009

Good Golly Aunt Molly


Most serious gardeners try something new and unusual, at least for them, each year. This year my experiment of choice was another heirloom, Aunt Molly’s Ground Cherries. The result is thrilling and I’m going into full production next year. The harvest is coming in, with a greater amount being gathered each day.

The most fun of all is watching as people try them for the first time. First they get to unwrap the little paper lantern surrounding the fruit. Then if you watch the eyes carefully you can see, almost every time, the person search for something to associate the taste with in the brain. Some come up with “melon”, others with “citrus” or “pineapple”. My favorite is when people realize they don’t have anywhere at all to put it. It is in a “new flavor” category. And that is how it was for me. If it is logged under any category in my brain it is under “tastes good”.

Like rose hips, ground cherries are high in pectin so if I can get enough of them this year I’m going to experiment with making them into jam. I did that accidentally with my Rosa Rugosa rose hips one year. I was making an extremely simple syrup so I’d have it to use with pancakes or to add a bit to hot water for the vitamin C, if needed. Something came up and I put the whole pot in the refrigerator before I was finished. The next day when I got back to it, I had what has since become one of my favorite jams already made. The only problem I foresee with making ground cherry jam is having enough left over after eating them raw on the way in from harvest.

I am going to make myself make sure some arrive at market tomorrow without them being eaten on the drive to market. For those of you that like a little sweetness, a little fruit, added to your salad, be sure to tell us and we’ll offer up that lagniappe with your salad bag (while they last). If you turn out to be a fan like I am, come back and let us know so we can enthuse together. We’ll also sell them a little later in the season when I've had my fill.
Aunt Farmer

No comments:

Post a Comment