Search This Blog

Saturday, June 6, 2009

My obsession with Orach

I must admit I have been a spinach man since my first encounter with Popeye back in the day. I used to order it from a Luby's cafeteria in Texas every time my family would go there for dinner and as I grew older and bolder began to enjoy it raw as a substitute for salad greens. My limited palate considered the flavor and texture of spinach unmatched. Then I was introduced to Orach.



Almost identical in texture to spinach, this beautiful and tasty plant comes in colors ranging from light green almost white to deep and dramatic purples and will literally change the way you look at salads. Compared to spinach, this hardy plant can grow in less friendly soils, can sustain warmer temperatures and will grow up to 6 feet tall. These characteristics have earned this plant the name of mountain spinach (think: toughness of a mountain man versus an ordinary man), yet with such charming names as Magenta Magic and Aurora, you'd just as soon ask it out for a night on the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment