Search This Blog

Monday, June 29, 2009

Awesome Arugula

This week we will be featuring arugula at the market. It is one of the first items that sell out at our booth. People usually describe arugula as having a peppery taste. Actually I think it has its own taste that is indescribable. If I had to say, I'd choose the word "nutty" more than "peppery".
It is definitely my favorite green. Arugula salad, arugula on sandwiches, arugula pesto, arugula as a garnish on pizza, arugula straight out of the garden with no embellishment necessary - it all works for me.
Arugula and strawberry salad is a favorite this time of year. The two seem made to go together and pack a nutritional punch. It is like having a strawberry vinaigrette dressing just by adding some balsamic vinegar. I love fruit in salads anyway and will use dried wolfberries or raisins when fresh fruit isn't available.
Arugula flowers are edible and just as tasty. We'll try to make sure we have enough of those available as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment